Saturday, November 14, 2009

Are my cannas dead?

They were big healthy plants last year and now they're small and shriveled with brown-edged leaves. I suspect the culprit is the unusual frost Southern CA suffered in January. Do I dig them out and toss them? I don't want to unless I'm sure they're goners but how long should I wait to see if they revive?

Are my cannas dead?
Leave them there! I live in south Texas and it snowed and was frozen for a week this winter (it never snows here so that's shocking), and my cannas came back from it a few weeks ago, they are huge already.
Reply:No they are dormant, they grow on stolens or tubers under the ground, die down after they flower, and can be divided before they start to grow, which should be about now. Did you know that there are many varieties and colors in this species? Norma

treatments

No comments:

Post a Comment