Friday, November 18, 2011

What causes the Canna Lily to bloom; hours of light or time periods (maturity)?

It really all depends on where you are, I've seen them growing in Greece by the side of a stream and they were beautifully lush and flowering. In England you pretty much have to dig them up to overwinter, and getting them started early for planting out in the Spring is a wise move. They need lots of sunshine, fertilizer and water to do their best for you. Feeding for flowers is a good idea if yours are reluctant to bloom.

What causes the Canna Lily to bloom; hours of light or time periods (maturity)?
I plant my rhizomes every spring and from that time they usually bloom within six weeks. They are very fast growers that love lots of sun, warmth, and water. I have started them in my home before and gotten the same results. I have very large south face windows. I dig them up every year and let them go dormat over the winter since I'm in zone 6.
Reply:With mine it has been maturity! I planted them and boy they grew nicely.... but didn't bloom until the beginning of their second year. Now they bloom yearly and maintain blooms throughout the season.

Electrical

No comments:

Post a Comment