Sunday, April 26, 2009

Can I divide my canna lilies? If so, how?

I recently bought two pots of canna lilies. Each pot had two lilies coming up through the soil, so I was thinking that I got a great deal and could use one canna in each of my four large pots. When I dug them out of the pots they came in, I realized that the canna stems are directly opposite one another on the rhizome. Can I still divide them? If so, should I cut the rhizome length wise, or on an angle (to reduce the size of the cut)?

Can I divide my canna lilies? If so, how?
yes, wait until they are completely done blooming, I always feel that winter is best, as they are the most dormant at that time and will not be disturbed as much) then you may dig up the bulbs and separate them. just be sure to take good care of your bulbs while they are not in the gound, and you should be able to replant them again wherever you like. If you do it this time of year, you mayy not see blooms until next spring, though.
Reply:Hi, Yes you can split cannas, I bought 4 bulbs when I bought my house 10 years ago. I have been splitting them but and giving them away every year. You can cut the rhizomes any way you can and they will come up every year. Hope this helps.


No comments:

Post a Comment